Butterfly Coloring Pages – Inspired by Raising a Butterfly and a Garden
During the pandemic, we homeschooled longer than many other families. We were blessed to be supported by the school community to which we belong, while many others returned to in-school learning. One of the best experiences during this homeschool chapter was the science lesson on the Life Cycle of Butterflies.
We were gifted a caterpillar and tasked with the responsibility of raising this creature from the caterpillar stage to the butterfly stage. It was a remarkable experience to watch. Watching the caterpillar grow was shocking, seeing it form a chrysalis was exciting, and the butterfly emerging was incredible!
From there, we helped the butterfly build its strength with sugar water. When it was time, we took the butterfly to a place special to us and released it into the wild. We remember it fluttering a few feet into the air as though it was getting used to the freedom outside of its cage when suddenly it picked up the pace and flew off into the sky.
Our oldest daughter pretty much sums up how we all felt that day:
“I’m so glad it lived!”
Us parents certainly felt that way too. Our children grew to love the beautiful butterfly, having watched it grow. We did NOT want to have a conversation about its death!
Though it is a bit of a distance, from time to time, we have frequented a local butterfly garden. In this beautiful garden, we have experienced vibrant butterflies that are a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes.
Their colors are magical, and the gentle nature of their fluttering brings out the giggles in the kids each time we visit the butterfly gardens. Here we get to experience an assortment of butterflies, such as Pink Cattlehearts, Plain Tigers, and Monarch Butterflies, to name a few. These and the many other butterflies in the gardens, inspired us to illustrate many of these beautiful butterfly coloring sheets.
Printing Our Free Printable Butterfly Coloring Pages
Printing our butterfly coloring sheets is easy. Follow these steps, and soon you will be on your way to coloring in no time!
- Click the butterfly coloring page that interests you
- On the next page, click the orange “Print” button. A PDF printable file will pop-up
- All printables are designed to be printed on 8.5 x 11 Letter Sized Paper
- Celebrate in excitement, get pumped, and start coloring!
12 Brilliant Facts About Butterflies That You Need to Know!
- Butterflies taste with their feet
- The lifecycle of a butterfly is in four stages: egg, caterpillar, pupa, and adult butterfly
- Butterflies have 4 wings!
- Butterflies have exoskeletons. This means their skeletons are on the outside of their body. It protects their inner bodies by preventing moisture from escaping and drying out.
- Butterflies need to be warm to fly. If their body temperature is less than 86 degrees Fahrenheit, they cannot fly
- If you see a butterfly resting in the sunlight, it’s likely to warm its wings to fly!
- There are about 24,000 species of butterflies. That is a lot of inspiration to create more butterfly coloring pages!
- Butterflies can fly up to 12 miles per hour.
- Butterflies taste with their feet!
- Butterflies use their long tongue, known as a proboscis, like a straw. They use it to suck up nectar
- Nectar from flowers is the main source of food for adult butterflies
- Other sources of food include water and liquids from fruit, tree sap, and other organic matter in the wild
Butterfly Coloring Pages and More!
Buttflies have a natural ability which draws our attention with their diversity of color, shape, and size, and fluttering wings.
It could be argued that butterflies are some of the most beautiful creatures in the world. Therefore, we knew we had to offer some amazing butterfly sheets!
We are certain that your young artists will use these butterfly coloring pages to create beautiful art. We’re confident their art will rival even the most beautiful butterflies. If you’re interested in other coloring pages that call for a variety of colors we highly recommend printing our Mermaid Coloring Pages!